Thursday, March 10, 2011

Getting Lost ~ Custom Woolen Mills

There is a few 'rules' to be learned about visiting LYS's, ESPECIALLY ones you've never been to.
RULE #1: Go alone or only take other fiber lovers. Do not take someone who has to be at work by a certain time. ( I love my brother, but he doesn't belong on such road trips.)
RULE #2: Know where you are going. Get a GPS, a LARGE map and write down the directions in case the satellite powering that GPS decides to not work. GPS on a phone isn't my recommendation. This small step will save gas.
RULE#3: Give yourself browse time, conversation time and of course purchase time. If you have spent 30 mins plus driving to this location, you deserve, as well as the shop owner deserves; your attention, and that special conversation that fiber lusters have. I recommend 1 hr.
RULE #4: If you happen upon a mill take the time to look, visit, tour, and ask questions. Once again another reason to follow rule#1 and rule#2.
RULE#5: If you are looking for a certain yarn, be clear. But with that being said, have the husband who's sweater hangs in the balance be clear about the yarn he desires. (anyone interested in 18 balls of black Sirdar BIG softie, that DH 'changed' his mind about!)

My trip to Custom Woolen Mills.
~took my brother. He tells me he works today, mid driving. That cuts time way too short for my comfort.
~ we then get lost. Unreliable co-pilot.
~attempted to call business 6 times between 10am-1:45pm. That would have given me 2 hrs before leaving my home to get better acquainted with the right directions. No one answered the phone til 1:45pm, I had already been lost for 45min by this time.
~finally arrive. Greeted rudely, asked if we are lost.
~ realizing time crunch, and once inside yarn shop, explain what I need.
~ am then taken on a wild goose chase, being told I can't do that , with that yarn.
~ explain what I would like and prepare to make my purchase. Can't find old school credit card machine. 'Do you have cash?'
~ here is where I am thankful for my brother.
~ attempt to pay. By this time someone else has arrived in yarn shop. I get an apologetic look, younger women explains she can finish assisting us. Cash register is not working.
~ We leave.
~ I'm frustrated. My brother asks if he can come back when I need more yarn! (could only purchase 2 cones of necessary yarn as per cash vs credit problem) He wants to bring his girlfriend and spend time looking through the mill.
~ Feeling of trip being worth while. My brother understands this obession. He recognizes my second love.
~ I forgive him for getting us lost.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Greetings , Janine from Innisfail I live in Innisfail too. Are we Innisfailians or Innisfailites? I digress:-)
Many years ago, when I lived in Dickson and had a few sheep, I took my 80-something neighbour to the wollen mill. I have to say, things have changed since we were there. None of your negative things happened to us. I hope it was just an 'off" day, and not their usual thing. Are you going back again, because I see that your visit was over a year ago.